Make this Air Fryer Cake Recipe and you will be rewarded with a lovely soft and fluffy sponge cake. Grab your bowl and ingredients and let me show you how to bake a cake in your air fryer.
For the Cake
- 260 g (2 cups) self raising flour
- 250 g ( 1 ¼ cup) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 115 g (½ cup) softened unsalted butter or margarine
- 120 ml (½ cup) semi skimmed milk, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 57 g (1/4 cup) softened unsalted butter
- 240 g (2 cups) icing sugar
- 3 tbsp full fat cream cheese
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
Filling & Decoration
- strawberry or raspberry jam(seedless)
- fresh berries or other seasonal fruit
- mini meringues , optional
- Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the Air Fryer at 160°C (320°F) while you prepare the batter. Mist an 8 inch deep cake pan with cake release and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Measure the flour and sugar into a mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Stir to combine
- Add the butter, eggs, milk and vanilla. Beat together using an electric hand mixer or your stand mixer, using a spatula to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed. Mix until the batter is smooth, about a minute
Transfer the batter into the prepared cake pan and level. Place the pan into your airfryer and cook for 30 minutes at 160°C (320°F). Lower the temperature to 150°C (300°F) and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes.
Check for doneness – insert a skewer or toothpick in the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. If the skewer comes out wet or with moist crumbs continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
Take the cake out of the air fryer using oven mitts. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan then invert onto a cooling rack.
Put all the ingredients for the frosting in a bowl and beat together until the frosting is light and fluffy and holds peaks.
Slice the cake in half and level if needed (use a cake leveller ideally). Pipe a ring of frosting around the edge of the bottom layer. Fill the middle with jam. Top with more frosting and level. Sandwich with the top layer.
Spread a little of the frosting over the top of the cake and decorate with fresh berries. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
- If your are using plain flour (all purpose flour) add 2 1/2 tsp baking powder in with the flour and sugar.
- Use room temperature ingredients. You can soften butter by blasting in the microwave on the DEFROST setting for a few seconds. If your eggs are cold then submerge them in warm water for a few minutes.
- Don’t overfill the cake pan – about half full is right. The cake pan I used is 8 inches wide and 3 inches deep. If your airfryer is small you might need to split the batter between two 6 or 7 inch pans and bake for 25 minutes at 150°C (300°F). Note that air fryers can vary in their cooking and baking temperatures.